Thursday, September 8, 2011

hw#1

     I was born and raised in Albania. I came here when i was seventeen and the first thing that my mom wanted me to do was to go in school. I had knowledge of English but it was a different English. I was used of saying more "How do you do" rather as they/we say it here "Whats up", but i got quickly used to that. I was asked a lot of time if Albanian was the same as English and there is nothing in common.Grammar is harder and you are forced to give nouns a gender. Since i was in the process of learning a new language i wanted my mom as well to know and understand something out of this, so she did. The beginning  was hard for her to even imagine herself  saying a word in English but as days and months passed by she got used to it. Lets not  talk about the mistakes that she did while she was talking with her friends. Once she wanted to say a "thoughtful idea" and she said instead "a baked idea". We have been here only for six years and i am proud of my mom, she has achieved more than i thought she would and has break the barrier  that exists between  two languages.
     As in every high school here in New York i had to pick a secondary language. I chose Italian since i had knowledge but just from what i used to hear in TV. I was very open minded and picked it up very fast like i just had forgotten the language not as like i was learning a new one. During my childhood i was faced with other languages like Turkish which i still do speak it and French which i totally forgot but my point is that the more languages you know the easier the other languages comes. The wording might be different but the meaning is all the same. Learning i think the first language was harder for the fact that i was little, the progress was very little as well  and i was totally blank inside, but once i had knowledge of the base language
everything was easy.
     

 

1 comment:

  1. Elvin, my question to you is where's Albana located? Also it's funny
    that you learned "New Yorkian" slang. Since Albanian isn't the same as
    English, explain to me the difference between them? I also learned
    French in th past and forgot most of the language. You think so that
    learning languages is easier? Interesting........

    ReplyDelete